Main House Museum
Wethersfield House Museum is a Georgian style colonial brick residence with a brownstone entrance, designed by architect Bancel LaFarge in 1939. LaFarge, landscape architect, Bryan J. Lynch, and Mr. Stillman designed the gardens to align with the windows of the house so that the views offer framed pictures of prominent features from the surrounding 3 acres of formal garden.
The House features Chauncey Stillman’s collection of antiques, paintings, and sculptures. The historic furniture and artwork dates from the 15th to the early 20th century. The South Wing, or “Gloriette,” was designed by architect George F. Poehler and was completed in 1973 as a one-room extension to the entrance façade of the House. It contains Mr. Stillman's old masters paintings, greater antiques, and features Baroque style frescoes by Pietro Annigoni.
After Mr. Stillman's converison to Catholicism in the early 1950's, he converted his front parlor into a private house chapel. The chapel is seen at the end of all guided house tours.