Carriage House Museum
Mr. Stillman, accomplished equestrian enthusiast, built Wethersfield Stables in 1937 to house riding horses for fox hunting and recreation. In 1960, Mr. Stillman took an interest in reviving the declining art of carriage driving and the Stables were expanded to accommodate Hackney horses, and a Carriage House.
Mr. Stillman worked closely with Colonel Paul Downing, a consultant for Colonial Williamsburg and founding editor of The Carriage Journal, in developing his carriage collection and acquiring all the appropriate appointments and harness. Over the years, 22 carriages were acquired and meticulously restored. All of the carriages in the collection date from 1850 to 1910. The collection features a Park Drag and George IV Phaeton by Brewster & Co., New York; a Roof Seat Break by A.S. Flandrau & Co., New York; and a Barouche by Barker & Co., London. A variety of sporting and formal carriages are also included.
House guests at Wethersfield were treated to daily carriage rides on the approximately twenty miles of carriage trails on the estate. From 1960 to 1976, Mr. Stillman and his team of whips and stablemen participated in and dominated driving competitions at Newport, Devon, Springfield, and Toronto. Throughout his lifetime, he also hosted several carriage drives at Wethersfield.